Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Hat


Hat
Originally uploaded by mellopuffy
I've been getting this impulse to do something with my hands. That, and the request that we take along something special that we have bought/been given/planned to the final antenatal class had me looking through my copy of Stitch n' Bitch to find something that I could have a go at knitting. This wee hat popped out (easy, cute, etc.) as an idea, so off I trotted to the knitting store to buy circular needles etc.

So here it is - my first attempt at knitting in ummmmm 15 years? It took far less time than I thought it would. Seeing as there seems to be a lot of people in my family alone that are popping out sproglets, I think I might be able to keep myself busy for the next wee while.

9 weeks to go today. I'm feeling BIG (more photos to come soon) and quite a few of the preggie clothes that I have been wearing for the past 14 weeks or so are even beginning to get tight! Went up to my parents place in the weekend as Mum organised a baby shower for us. A really lovely chance to see family. And mum ordered yummy cookies and cupcakes for the party which was awesome (I'm such a cupcake fiend!). One of our oldest family friends confided that in all her years, she had never actually been to a baby shower before! Everyone was really generous, which is such a great help (even using trade me, getting the basics is pretty expensive... though I must admit I am a sucker for slings etc in pretty fabrics).

My cousin N had her first baby in the weekend (on the other side of the world from here...). I got a few texts as her labour progressed (fantastically, she managed a 10 minute second stage of labour - I should be so lucky!), and then finally, a really neat message after she had taken her new baby girl, Emily, home, about how amazing she is.... I'm coming over all emotional now!

But seriously, the enormity of it all is beginning to sink in. I'm impatient to see what our little person is going to be and look like, but at the same time I guess a bit apprehensive about how things are going to go for the rest of the pregnancy and of course, during the labour. Our ante-natal classes are finished, and we're now seeing the midwife fortnightly. Baby A is apparently already standing on its head which is good. I like the feeling of knowing what it is that is actually poking and prodding me from the inside (I know where the legs and arms are now). So wish me luck!

1 comment:

Domestic Goddess said...

Oh honey,
I so remember and even now just thinking about what you are going through has given me goose bumps.

Just enjoy the next small few weeks as soon you will have to share what up until now has been just yours. Besides it is one of the last times you can take a pee
#1. Alone
#2. With tremendous loud volume like you are standing on the seat to relieve yourself.
#3. In your knickers as you have not been doing your pelvic floors.

DO THEM AS I SWEAR I HAD TO TAKE MY OWN PIECE OF LINO TO STAND ON SO I COULD LAUGH SAFELY!

So many things to say but yet none is important as you will find out soon enough.

Draw strength from all those amazing women around you, absorb all their hints and tips and store them for a rainy day as it is amazing how some faceless person will tell you something that is way over your head or something you would not ever do.....but all of a sudden.......you know what she meant!

Should you choose to breastfeed, let me know if you hit some speed bumps as I am hugely pro breast feeding, heck I even did a week long course!!! Sounds a bit tree huggy but really amazing and I swear I would have given up after a week if I had not done this.

Flushable Janola wipes? If you havent get ye to your supermarket. Great for those ladies who have stitches and do not want infection(of course not you.....one sneeze and baby out right?) but also a quick swish around with these wipes and the loo is sparkling in record time. I am all for saving time

Just remember, Teeth closed, gob shut and chin down


xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx